Pages

Sunday, March 15, 2015

Grief is a Private Land

Sometimes I´m tired of all that art stuff using affirmations like "You´re strong" etc. - what if you´re just feeling weak? It´s necessary to work with your grief, to shed tears for a while to get over it instead of running away from grief. For me, January felt like a month when many people passed away, more than usual. And with darkness and cold outside, you have to find a reason to carry on within yourself. Art can definitely be helpful, and art that tells about someone´s grief always speaks to my soul.
This is why I´ve chosen "Grief/Tears" as this week´s theme for the Sunday Postcard Art challenge.
For my sample card, I´ve used a stamp of a woman from Viva Las Vegas, and alpha stamps from Darkroom Door, and added the woman´s body by collaging an old map. The paint drip technique seemed to be appropriate to illustrate the tears running down the lady´s face which are hidden by her hands here.
And what about the quote? I´ve had it in my notebook for a while and think that it says the truth in a very short way, just like Anne Morrow Lindbergh said it a bit longer:
"Grief can´t be shared. Everyone carries it alone. His own burden in his own way." Sad but true.
I´m very curious to see what everyone else will create for this challenge - what about you?

And here´s a little extra surprise for those who took the trouble to come to my blog and who will leave a comment on this post - I´ll pick one of your names on Saturday and will ask that person for his/her address to send my card to him/her. Maybe it will bring a little solace to someone who needs it?

14 comments:

Karla B said...

Hi Marion!

I am sorry about what happened in January. I've been there in 2013 when I lost 4 friends in a very short period of time. It was as if death was peering through the keyhole. The same disease took Tito, Rita, Eliane and Márcia. I like to think they are better now because they suffered alot,Marion. Rita was younger than me. We studied together at university.In my opinion, pain has many shades but most of times, it is a private land. We hardly ever share it as we do when it comes to our happiness.But we have to get our pieces and move on because life does continue, my friend. Take care!

peggy gatto said...

Inspirational art!

Deborah said...

I love your powerful postcard, Marion, and I heartily agree with you about inspirational quotes, all the more so because they have become such cliches.

Your challenge came at the end of a week when one friend lost her father and another found her daughter in law's cancer had spread. Not my grief, although I am saddened, but the theme seems particularly apt.

Rosie said...

Eine sehr schöne Karte, Marion

Deann said...

A great and thoughtful challenge and a beautiful and touching postcard. Grief is part of life... If you love then there comes a time when you have to grieve. Expression through art is a wonderful thing and a release from sadness.

Barbara said...

A very touching artwork. It brought me to tears before I even read your explanation. 2014 was such a year for me, losing my father, plus 4 other loved ones in a few months time. I've tried to find a way to express the sadness with art. You did it perfectly. I love Anne Morrow Lindbergh and re-read her book often.

ULKAU said...

Du hast dieses Thema richtig gut umgesetzt, die Karte gefällt mir total! Das Wort grief musste ich mir allerdings erst von leo übersetzen lassen, ich kannte es bisher gar nicht.
LG Ulrike

Jo Murray said...

I always love your work Marion. This sentiment is SO true. We can't feel someone else's pain.

johanna said...

volle Zustimmung meinerseits - und ja, es gibt so Zeiten, da denkt man sich: kann das jetzt bitte mal wieder aufhören?! zu viele schlechte Nachrichten...
dazu eine fantastische karte! die "innere Landkarte" als körper zu gestalten, eine brilliante Idee! die karte gefällt mir mega!

johanna said...

ach, und hätte ich das Thema früher gelesen, hätte ich vielleicht auch was dazu gemacht... war letztens lange auf Friedhöfen unterwegs...

Cindy from California said...

Marion,
I know I missed the opportunity for the card, but I just want to say that I LOVE your work--especially your stamped work. You have such an artistic soul...and a wonderful eye. Take care of yourself.

Sabine said...

Da hätte ich doch vor lauter Begeisterung fast das Kommentieren vergessen...nun also auch schriftlich ein großes Lob für die tolle Karte!

bockel24 said...

I´ve drawn the winner today, and it´s Peggy! Congrats, Peggy, and thanks to all of you for your nice comments!

Susan Burgess said...

Great art Marion! I love when artist do art that comes from a place that is real like this. Sorry you have had a hard winter season. Hope spring brings new life and happier thoughts. Grieving is ok too for a while so I validate how ever long you need to be there. HUGS, Sanna.