Pages

Sunday, September 25, 2016

Blackbird

For hosting this week´s Sunday Postcard Art challenge, I´ve chosen "The Beatles" as our theme as their music was the soundtrack of my childhood. They had published their first single in 1962, reached world-wide success in 1963 and sailed on its peak when I was born and for the next four years or so. They split when I was schooled, but I remember their portraits in my brother´s room and their songs being everywhere. When I was about 11 years old, I had a phase in my life when I didn´t listen to any other music than theirs. I knew the lyrics of almost all their songs back then, and one of my favourites has always been "Blackbird" (today it´s probably "Come Together"). It has such a simple (but not at all boring) melody that you´ll never forget, and the lyrics invite you to think about them - it was discussed a lot whether McCartney´s later interpretation that his song is about the racial tensions in the U. S. in Spring 1968 and the blackbird is a symbol for a black lady has really been in his thoughts when he wrote the song in 1968 or not.

For my card above, I used a hand-dyed background, stenciled the Beatles´ faces, coloured them, and added the blackbird and the lyrics with stamps. (The stencil is from Stamp Attack, the stamps are from Visible Images and Green Pepper Press.)

What´s your favourite Beatles song and why? If you´re interested in other Beatles inspired art, you´re invited to click on the label "Beatles Blog Swap" in the sidebar on the right - but be aware that the title of the swap back then was Beatles or Stones, so there might be some Stones songs illustrated as well ...

7 comments:

Rosie said...

Ein großartiges Werk, Marion.

Schönen Sonntag noch

Penny said...

Wonderful Work

sirkkis said...

Great card, Marion.

Deann said...

A fun challenge and a fabulous postcard ...just gorgeous.

indybev said...

A great Beatles tribute!

peggy gatto said...

This is really quite beautiful!!

Kay Wallace said...

What a grand challenge for the Sunday Postcard Art challenge, Marion! Loved reading your post here. Yep, I was definitely a Beatles girl, too! Great and inspiring example here!